Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Garden: Seeds are coming thorough


A large number of my seeds are now poking their head through the ground with green leaves. I think I may have overdone it in some of the departments.

I can see a glut of broad beans coming on this year with about 52 shoots coming through (I’ll dry a large bulk of them and keep them for soups next winter). All the snow peas are looking healthy with except for one seedling that seems to be growing upside down…

Nothing’s at a size to be planted out yet, but so far they are looking good.

I did have my first garden casualties though. By brocoletti seedlings were attacked by some slugs and snails… the pain. Oh the pain…
After flipping some of the rocks over I found the culprits and they were eradicated in a swift and painless (I hope) manner. Since that day the remaining brocoletti has been going strong.

With all the seeds starting to shoot, I’ve come to my next conundrum. I need to plant them out in the garden. But without any complete garden beds, or the finances to bring in some kick ass top soil, I’m needing to figure out the best possible way to give these plants a shooting chance at filling my stomach with good food.

I’m thinking of trying a method were I only use compost and manure around the seedlings (I a little mound) and when they reach the ground they can break up the earth their self. I’ve no idea if this’d work but it seems the most logical and time saving way with what I’ve got to work with.

I’ll think about it a bit more and get back to it. the seedlings still have a week or two till they’re ready anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment