Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Garden: is there ever such a thing as too much garlic?


Yesterday I started planting out some of my seedlings. Well, two of my seedlings.

Garlic and snow peas shoots were the order of the day.

I had a fairly good idea of where I wanted to snow peas to go. So I peeled back the plastic on my small garden bed and started planting.

Once finished I looked across and noticed that the tray of seedlings was still half full. What to do… I found another spot for the rest. Up against the back wall of the big corner garden bed.

After planting some there I noticed there were still a few of them floating around in the tray. So off I went to find the self watering pot and put them by the front door. (that way I’ll get a nice little snack when i’m on my way out)

The garlic wasn’t going to be as hard as the snow peas. They already had a dedicated area in the front yard from the first batch that I put in last month.

Well, that’s what I thought until I noticed that I was about ¾ of my way through the new batch and was halfway into the bed that we were going to save for some other vegies…

Back to thinking about plant placement.

Then I vaguely remembered something about garlic being a good plant to keep slugs and snails away. I have no idea if it’s true but I decided to plant some close to my asian patch that has been under constant attack by the hungry little buggers.

With the daikon starting to pop up I’m keen to try anything to keep them away.

So with this abundance of just two plants I started wondering if I was over doing any of my other vegies.

After about two seconds I came to the conclusion that I wasn’t. it could all be justified by the fact that I don't’ want some novelty garden where I get enough peas for one stir fry.

I want to be able to walk out every day and get something fresh from the garden for the bulk of the meal. I want to walk through my garden and think about what I’m going to do for dinner. Not the supermarket isles.

I’m starting to become a little obsessive…                  

No comments:

Post a Comment