Monday, May 31, 2010

re-introduction



With the beginning of winter announced, I’ve decided it was time to started using this blog thing again to keep a record of my garden and food adventures.

After my failed attempt at a job-hunting in Japan over February and March I returned back to Australia with more fucus on my food (I found it really hard to find local produce in Japan, and the quality was a bit disappointing for some things)

Japan made me realise how important food is to me. And after getting back to Australia I decided it was time that I really started thinking about my food a bit more.

So, I came up with a list of values that I would attempt to follow with my eating. These are not rules set in stone. Not yet anyway. But one day I would love to live as close them as possible.

  • Eat seasonally and from the garden
  • Respect the animal and eat it Head to Tail
  • Don’t let anything go to waste. There’s always the compost bin if needed
  • If they can make it to sell it then you can make it to eat it
  • Sharing is caring

With this in mind I wanted to move to the country. However, my girlfriend worked close to the CBD of Melbourne and this would not go down well with her.

A nice compromise was made.

My girlfriend and I found a nice little house in the suburbs with a garden taking up most of the block. It was the perfect compromise. A 25 minute drive from the city (even less when there’s no traffic)

We’ve been in the house for a month now and some changes have already been made through out the garden to get us started in eating better food. I’ve been cooking like crazy as well.


Getting these herbs in was a great idea. Straight off the bat they were going into a whole bunch of things I was cooking. And the house also started looking a little less like someone else’s and a bit more like our own.

Well, I let a lot happen over the month without recording any of it so I have too much information and not enough time or space to get things sorted now. I’ll get through everything eventually.

Anyway, the way I decided to work this blog from now on is fairly simple. I’ll have three elements

Garden
The garden section will consist of simply that. Anything that happens outside my house will be logged in the garden section. Things like my vegetable patch, compost, trees, and hopefully one day some chickens.

Kitchen
For the kitchen section I’m going to focus more on the experiments that I’ll be carrying out. Things like working with my peculiar oven, getting a steady sourdough happening, and curing meats.

Food
It’ll be just some recipes and ideas of food that I’ll make along the way.

I hope that this will help keep me going with my aspirations in eating better and more creative food in a smarter way.

No comments:

Post a Comment